28 FAQs and Troubleshooting
28.1 MUI package creation
After downloading and expanding the compressed installer, do the following to
create a multilanguage Reader package:
- Download the non-English Installers you need and expand them.
- Install one localized version in a virtual machine (VM).
- Search the Program folder for the language files (e.g., for German the file extension is DEU). Backup the language files and make sure to keep the directory structure.
- Reset your VM and repeat the step above for each localized setup.
- Open the AcroRead.msi of the US Version in the Customization Wizard.
- Go to the Files and Folders and import the language files to the appropriate folders.
- To set Reader automatically to the OS Language, go to the Registry and add [HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\<version>\Language\UseMui].
- Create a dummy value inside that key so that the Wizard will recognize your change.
You now have a multilanguage package that automatically follows the OS
language (or OS MUI language) if the appropriate language files are installed.
28.2 Error: Cannot modify MSI
If you get the error “The Wizard cannot modify this MSI package...”, check the following:
- Verify you are opening a product MSI that is supported. The Wizard checks a signature based on a GUID in the property table. The target product should have the requisite signature property as well as the expected major version value in the GUID.
- Verify the Acrobat product and Wizard versions are identical. For example, the Wizard 9 can only be used with 9.x products.
28.3 Silent install isn’t silent
If your silent install settings are not respected and your command line is something like:
MSIEXEC /I <path to msi>\AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS="<path to mst>\AcroPro.mst
then you are not using Setup.ini your workflow. The Wizard rewrites Setup.ini
when you specify a silent install to include this option. The silent install
switch is not saved in the MST. Either run Setup.ini or change your command
line to include the /qn switch. For example:
MSIEXEC /I <path to msi>\AcroPro.msi TRANSFORMS="<path to mst>\AcroPro.mst" /qn
28.4 11.x bugs
The following items are known issues for the Wizard:
- 3495970: Acrobat runs in English on any OS language when installed in silent mode using CW in silent mode.
- A bug prevents Acrobat from installing in the OS language during silent installs. In this case, the default Acrobat silent install with a MUL serial number always defaults to English.
- 3353035: Job options file specific to Japanese language not getting added when we select the Japanese language in the “Allow end user to choose the application language” drop down.
- 11.0 only (fixed in 11.0.1): The text in the Reasons for signing drop down list on the Digital Signature tab is being set to Chinese when the Allow end user to choose the application language is clicked twice in the Installation Options tab.
- If end users launch FormsCentral before launching Acrobat, they are asked to accept the EULA even though the “Accept End User License Agreement” checkbox was checked in the Customization Wizard. To resolve this issue, place a blank file with no extension named eulaAccepted in the machine’s AppData location at com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat\Local Store.