Since Flex 3 was released at the end of February 2008, developers have been able to see progress within the Flex SDK by monitoring the commit list and downloading nightly or stable builds from the Flex SDK Open Source site. In August we released our first milestone build of the Flex SDK, version 3.1, along with the associated Flex Builder 3.0.1. We are now providing our next milestone, Flex SDK 3.2, a certification of recent work and a build that is recommended for all users. Flex Builder 3.0.2 is an update that includes the Flex 3.2 SDK along with numerous bug fixes and certified versions of the professional data visualization and testing components.
You can download the Flex Builder update from here, or if you wish to manually initiate an update to Flex Builder using the Adobe Updater, open Flex Builder and go to Help > Search for Flex Builder Updates...
Here is a quick summary of what's included:
Flex SDK 3.2
- Numerous bug fixes including fixes provided by the community. You can find a complete list of bug fixes here.
- Support for Flash Player 10. While t he Flex framework does not explicitly use any new functionality, developers can write code that takes advantage of the new features in the latest release of the Flash Player. You can learn more about Flash Player 10 by reading Justin Everett-Church's introductory article. Enable Flash Player 10 functionality by setting -target-player=10 in your compiler arguments (or making the appropriate updates in flex-config.xml).
- Support for Adobe AIR 1.5. Similar to support for Flash Player 10, developers can leverage any new functionality available in Adobe AIR 1.5, though the Flex framework does not expose anything new itself. This SDK is already configured to enable Flash Player 10 functionality when targeting Adobe AIR by using amxmlc.
- Support for sandboxed and multi-versioned applications. Flex 3.2 adds the ability for an application developer to divide functionality between multiple sub-applications and allow them to interoperate. Applications can be developed using different versions of Flex (starting from 3.2), and can optionally operate in an untrusted environment which allows applications to safely load code provided by third parties. For more information, please refer to the related documentation.
Flex Builder 3.0.2 (including the data visualization components)
- Numerous bug fixes. You can find a complete list of bug fixes for the IDE here and the data visualization components here.
- Support for Flash Player 10. Enable Flash Player 10 functionality by setting the HTML wrapper's required Flash Player version to 10 in the Project > Properties > Flex Compiler section; or if the wrapper is not enabled set -target-player=10 in the additional compiler arguments.
- Support for Adobe AIR 1.5. The default settings for Adobe AIR 1.5 will enable Flash Player 10 functionality in Adobe AIR.
- Support for QTP 9.5 testing against IE7. Previously only QTP 9.2 was supported. See the Flex Builder release notes for more details.
Please review the SDK release notes and Flex Builder release notes for the most up-to-date information on what is included in each release, and any remaining known issues.