- What is Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite?
The Adobe Digital Publishing Suite hosted solution enables traditional media publishers and business publishers to transform their print publications into interactive digital reading experiences for tablet devices. Consisting of hosted services and viewer technology, Digital Publishing Suite tightly integrates with Adobe InDesign® CS5.5 software so that traditional media and business publishers can design and distribute a new class of innovative digital publications and magazines including WIRED, The New Yorker, Vogue, Martha Stewart Living, and Reader's Digest.
- What is Adobe's vision and strategy for digital publishing?
Adobe's vision is to enable customers to deliver magazines, books, newspapers, and corporate publications in print, online, and on tablet and e-reading devices. Digital Publishing Suite will allow enterprise media and business publishers to:
- Gain a competitive advantage by creating digital content that provides a richly designed, visually immersive experience, accessible online and offline
- Cost-effectively produce content using existing staff and skill sets and familiar Adobe Creative Suite® 5.5 publishing tools, and deliver it to the widest possible audience on a broad variety of devices and in mobile marketplaces or through publisher direct entitlement
- Leverage analytics to optimize editorial decisions and drive increased monetization of advertising
- Maintain direct relationships with subscribers and use flexible e-commerce models to deliver greater customer value
- What are the key components of Digital Publishing Suite?
Digital Publishing Suite is an end-to-end solution that allows publishers to create, produce, monetize, and optimize publications by using hosted services and viewer technology.
- Content Viewer: Leverage Content Viewer for Apple iPad, Android™, and BlackBerry PlayBook and Desktop included in Digital Publishing Suite to enable immersive reading experiences on tablet devices such as the iPad, BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Motorola Xoom, and other Android based devices expected to come to market soon. Publishers can create a branded Content Viewer to immerse readers and customers in the look and feel of their publications. Minimal chrome, innovative navigation features such as the zoomed-out "browse mode," and dual-axis navigation allow readers to engage with content in new and exciting ways.
- Folio Producer Service: Share, manage, and publish .folio files to tablet devices. Upload .folio files directly from InDesign CS5.5 into an intuitive hosted service in which you can assemble and reorder content, add .folio and article metadata, and preview the complete .folio file as it will appear in published form on tablet devices. The Folio Producer Service supports a range of file formats, including PDF and HTML5.
- Distribution Service: More securely store and host digital content and distribute it across leading tablet devices and desktops for broad reach and audience access. Manage content available for fulfillment from within a library content dashboard, including publication metadata and archival information, and seamlessly notify readers within the Content Viewer when a new magazine or update to a corporate publication is available for purchase or download.
- E-commerce Service: Take advantage of flexible payment and merchandising models with the ability to sell and distribute single-folio, multiple-folio, or subscription content directly from a publisher's website or through leading mobile marketplaces such as the Apple App Store, Android Market, and BlackBerry App World. Create high-value merchandising programs such as print and digital content bundles, and enable readers to seamlessly purchase content directly from within the magazine application on their devices. Direct publisher e-commerce support for interoperability will allow readers to purchase content once and read it on their desktops or tablet devices.
- Analytics Service: Gain valuable customer insights to better optimize editorial content and drive higher advertising monetization using best‐of‐class online analytics from Adobe SiteCatalyst®, powered by Omniture®. Access prebuilt dashboards directly from within the hosted publishing workflow to view key advertising and editorial data, including total ad views, download and purchase metrics, and customer engagement with interactive content such as video. Valuable viewer profile analytics can supplement traditional offline point-of‐sale data to build a more comprehensive understanding of individual subscribers. Drill-down reporting and analytics are available through a separate Adobe SiteCatalyst subscription. Additional dashboards and reports can be custom tailored to meet your unique business goals.
Learn more about Digital Publishing Suite.
- When will Digital Publishing Suite be available for purchase?
Both the Enterprise Edition and Professional Edition of Digital Publishing Suite are available now.
- How much does it cost?
Pricing for the Professional Edition is based on a monthly platform fee, which allows publishers access to Digital Publishing Suite services, as well as a service distribution fee for each publication downloaded by a reader or customer. This service fee scales with download volume. The platform fee allows publishers to access Digital Publishing Suite and create apps for all their titles and publications. The Enterprise Edition is a custom, multiyear platform agreement that includes access to APIs for integration of back-end publishing services such as subscription management, print fulfillment, and dynamic rich media ad platforms. Publishers must also purchase Gold level support as part of their Professional or Enterprise Edition purchase. In addition, Adobe offers professional services to support enterprise-level custom engagements.
- Who should use Digital Publishing Suite?
Digital Publishing Suite meets the needs of professional media and business publishers that want to create and deliver a branded reading experience using existing staff, build on their investment in Creative Suite, and take advantage of flexible pricing models.
- Is Digital Publishing Suite extensible?
Yes. The Enterprise Edition of Digital Publishing Suite includes a full set of APIs to allow media and business publishers to extend and integrate Digital Publishing Suite into their existing print fulfillment, subscription management, and ad serving platforms.
- On which devices and mobile platforms can customers or readers consume content?
Digital Publishing Suite now includes Content Viewer for iPad, Content Viewer for Android, and Content Viewer for BlackBerry PlayBook. Adobe is working closely with other hardware device manufacturers and mobile operating system developers including Palm/HP to optimize the Adobe AIR® runtime so that interactive magazines, newspapers, and corporate publications can be delivered on additional tablet devices in the near future.
- Does Content Viewer offer the same functionality on the Android, BlackBerry®, and iOS platforms?
Content Viewer on these platforms supports the same navigation metaphor, library view of titles, and interactive overlays. Content Viewer for iPad and Android also supports PDF and authoring in HTML5. Content Viewer for Android is expected to support in-app purchase through Android Market in early Q3FY11. Content Viewer for BlackBerry PlayBook is expected to support PDF, HTML5, and in-app purchase through BlackBerry App World in Q3FY11.
- Does Digital Publishing Suite support Apple subscriptions?
Yes. Digital Publishing Suite supports Apple subscriptions through the Apple App Store. In addition, Digital Publishing Suite supports a wide variety of other payment methods: free content, single-issue purchase, multi-issue purchase, and the ability for publishers to tie into their existing e-commerce and fulfillment mechanisms for print and digital bundling and other offers.
- Does Digital Publishing Suite support Google in-app payment through Android Market?
This functionality is expected in early Q3FY11. Customers who purchase the Enterprise Edition of Digital Publishing Suite can leverage direct entitlement to sell content via Content Viewer for Android.
- Does Digital Publishing Suite support in-app payment through BlackBerry App World?
This functionality is expected Q3FY11. Customers who purchase the Enterprise Edition of Digital Publishing Suite can leverage direct entitlement to sell content via Content Viewer for BlackBerry PlayBook.
- Is the Digital Publishing Suite prerelease program still open?
The Digital Publishing Suite prerelease program is no longer accepting new entrants. For more information on the Enterprise Edition of Digital Publishing Suite, contact Adobe at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the Professional Edition, contact a reseller partner.
- How does Digital Publishing Suite integrate with Acrobat.com?
Designers, production staff, and other users can use the Folio Builder panel in InDesign CS5.5 to create and share a .folio file via Acrobat.com. With a free Acrobat.com account, a user can share one .folio file per account. This .folio file is shared in the cloud and can also be accessed by a customer who has a provisioned Digital Publishing Suite account.
- Will Adobe make HTML5 an integral part of Digital Publishing Suite?
Yes. Digital Publishing Suite will leverage the best tools and technologies to deliver engaging publishing experiences. Adobe currently supports HTML5 and will continue to do so as it matures, including support for all future HTML5 standards. We believe that HTML5 will be one of several technologies our customers will take advantage of to deliver compelling reading experiences. Digital Publishing Suite will provide our customers with the freedom to choose the technologies and workflows best suited to creating innovative interactive content. Designers will be able to take advantage of the following to create high-performance, interactive reader experiences:
- Prebuilt interactive overlays (audio, video, 360-degree rotation, slide shows, pan and zoom, and hyperlink, with more expected in the future) as shown in the WIRED digital edition example
- InDesign CS5 to create rich interactivity that can be added to a digital magazine layout
- HTML5 (across all mobile device platforms)
- Adobe Flash® Professional software
- How can I purchase Digital Publishing Suite?
You can purchase directly from Adobe or through one of our regional reseller partners. To discuss purchase of the Enterprise Edition with Adobe, contact email@example.com. If you would like to purchase the Professional Edition, contact one of our regional reseller partners.
With pricing available in two editions — Enterprise and Professional — Digital Publishing Suite delivers superior customer value. Learn more