What to pack for a cruise: Your checklist needs these items.
Learn more about the necessary items you’ll need to set sail, as well as how you can make your own cruise packing PDF checklist.
A cruise is a fabulous way to meet new people, explore far-off places, or just sit back and enjoy the views. But before the ship leaves the dock, you’ll need to make sure you have the necessary documents and items on hand for travel. Let’s dive into what you’ll need to be travel-ready.
Create a handy cruise checklist.
As with any form of travel, a little planning can go a long way. One of the easiest ways to ensure you have everything on hand is to create a customized cruise checklist. Here are some common items to help get you started with yours:
- Documents: Photo ID/passport, cruise boarding pass, luggage tags, medical insurance card, travel insurance information, plus hotel and flight info (if applicable).
- Clothing: Formalwear, everyday wear, theme-night outfits, pajamas, plus appropriate clothing for excursions or tours.
- Shoes: Comfortable everyday shoes, dress shoes, and waterproof/water shoes for excursions.
- Toiletries: Personal hygiene items and medications, plus sunscreen, aloe, and seasickness remedies.
- Electronics: Cell phone, camera, tablet/e-reader, chargers, and plug adapters.
- Location-dependent items: Snorkels, goggles, wet bags, reusable water bottles, hats, and bug spray.
You can also search online for a cruise checklist template. Many are Excel sheets and allow for some customization, so you can add or drop categories as they relate to your particular type of sailing experience.
Once you’ve got a template that suits your needs, you can easily convert it to a PDF for safekeeping or sharing with other travel companions. This is a convenient document to have on hand if you set sail often — simply refer back to it every time you book a new cruise, and you’ll know exactly what to pack for smooth sailing.