How to redact a PDF on a Chromebook.
Hide sensitive information from your PDF documents. Learn how to redact and safely share PDFs with your Chromebook.
Chromebooks are handy, lightweight devices that provide a lot of functionality in a compact package. But for some tasks, like redacting PDFs, they’re a bit underprepared. But don’t worry — this guide teaches you how to start redacting a PDF on Chromebook and then finish the task on a PC or Mac.
First, if the document you need to redact is a paper copy, start by scanning it into a PDF. Once your PDF is on your Chromebook, upload it to a location where you can complete the redactions on a PC or a Mac with Adobe Acrobat.
Redact text and images from a PDF.
- Launch Acrobat and select Tools > Redact.
- Choose Select A File and locate your PDF.
- Select the Mark For Redaction tool. You can redact text and images, entire pages, or search for a specific phrase.
- Once you’ve marked up all the redactions, select Apply.
- Save your PDF as a separate file. This is important, since the Redact tool completely removes all marked information.
Wipe out information you can’t see.
You can select the Remove Hidden Information tool to remove data that’s not visible on the page itself. With it, you can erase things like metadata, hidden PDF objects, and other potentially sensitive information. Once you’re done, upload your PDF back to your preferred file storage location. You can then safely download and share or print out your PDF from your Chromebook.