Kids photoshoot ideas: A photographer's guide
Discover how to plan and capture beautiful photos of children and get ideas for your next photoshoot.
“Every happy memory created for a child is another treasure of a lifetime.”- Donna Marie
Children's photoshoots can be both challenging and rewarding. They may not have the patience or interest for longer sessions, depending on their ages and personalities. That's why having a game plan will help you get all the shots you need.
Planning your photoshoot
It's important to make your photoshoots with kids playful and fun. Unless you know the children in advance, you should discuss photo and pose ideas with the parents beforehand. You can let the children choose the location and props to help them feel more comfortable and involved in the photoshoot.
Time it right
Although most photographers like to shoot during the last hour of the day for the best light, this time is not always convenient for children's meals and bedtimes. As a substitute, consider the early morning golden hour or shoot when the light is still soft and diffused before the sun gets too high.
Capturing kids at their best
When photographing kids, try these photoshoot ideas
- Capture them in their most natural element. Take candid shots of them playing with toys at home, rather than posed studio shots.
- Flowers, fields, beaches and other nature settings have ideal natural lighting and offer a great deal of visual interest.
- Take photos in the local park for a carefree photoshoot that captures the family's neighbourhood.
- Add props like flowers and balloons for visual interest. Using the kids’ favourite toys, such as teddy bears or skateboards, can be a great way to keep them interested too.
- Try your hand at superhero or character dress-up.
- Use an interesting background, like a flower wall, for baby and toddler photos.
- Get the children playing with the family pet, blowing bubbles, or fingerpainting to keep them engaged and moving.
Be creative in your photography
Once you’ve finished your shoot, bring your photos to life with some creative photo editing software, like Lightroom and Photoshop. Edit photographs, apply presets, add creative elements and share them from anywhere.