Top Five Reasons to Upgrade
- Certified J2EE 1.3 Compatible
JRun 4 was one of the first application servers to become certified J2EE 1.3 compatible, demonstrating Macromedia's commitment to J2EE. This is your guarantee that any J2EE-compatible application will run with JRun 4.
- Hot Deployment and Hot Modification
In JRun 4, deploying an application is as simple as copying an EAR, JAR, WAR, or RAR file to the server directory. JRun 4 automatically senses the new file, deploys it, and makes it available in the target server, without restarting the server. During development, you can hot modify any application component (servlets, JavaServer Pages, Enterprise JavaBeans, Java classes, deployment descriptors). Your changes take effect immediately???there's no need to restart the server, ever.
- Built-In Web Services Support
Building web services in JRun 4 is as simple as editing a deployment descriptor to expose your regular Java classes or Enterprise JavaBeans as web services. Consuming web services is equally easy: JRun 4 automatically generates Java proxies for web services based on their WSDL files. The Web Service Tag Library in JRun 4 can also be used to dynamically invoke web services from JavaServer Pages.
- JINI-Based Enterprise-Class Clustering
JRun 4 provides enterprise-class server clustering, allowing load balancing and automatic fail-over at all levels. In-memory session replication ensures that state information is preserved. An object's state is also replicated in an optimized manner to provide the highest level of reliability while maintaining performance.
- JMX Service-Based Architecture
All the JRun 4 features (EJB container, web container, logging, etc.) are implemented as JMX services (called MBeans) plugged into the JRun kernel. This elegant service-based architecture provides both a highly customizable (you use only the services you need) and an easily extensible (you can create your own custom services) deployment platform.
How to Upgrade
- Make sure your copy of Adobe JRun is eligible for upgrade. Full commercial and educational versions JRun 3.x are eligible. Free trial products, Not For Resale, and Beta versions are not eligible.
- Find your product's serial number. You will need to enter this number when you install your upgrade. (Read the Upgrade FAQ for tips on finding your serial number).
You can purchase your upgrade through these options.
- Install your new upgrade You will need to enter your old product serial number.
- Register your new upgrade to receive a variety of benefits. Registering your product does not start the free 90 day technical support period. The free support period only begins with your first phone call to Macromedia Technical support.
More questions about upgrading? Read the upgrade FAQ.