29 September 2008
Adobe AIR has a seamless install feature. This feature lets you embed a SWF file in a web page that lets users install an AIR application from the browser. If the runtime is not installed, the seamless install feature installs the runtime. The seamless install feature lets users install an AIR application without saving the AIR file to their computers. Included in the AIR and Flex SDKs is a default badge.swf file, which lets you easily use the seamless install feature.
The custom badge featured in this article was created by Grant Skinner for Adobe Systems. Inc. Compared to the default badge included with the SDKs, this badge has a new look and feel with additional detection logic and leverages the AIR runtime's "launch now" capability. You can use this badge if you:
- Want a new look and feel for your install badges (it looks cool!)
- Want to leverage the application detection and "launch now" feature
- Want a simple way to upgrade end users to the correct Flash Player version using express install
- Want to provide customizable help links and text
- Want to customize the text display on your install badges
Note: This badge is still beta quality, so you may discover bugs. Please report any bugs you may encounter. You can report bugs to the Adobe AIR wishlist.
Figure 1 shows a sample look and feel of the new install badge (left) and the help screen (right) which users can access by clicking the question mark icon on the Install Now button.
Figure 1. The new badge's sample look and feel (left) and the help screen (right).
- Download the badge ZIP file (ZIP, 136K).The ZIP file contains all the files you need, including a Getting Started Guide and the source code.
- Read the Getting Started Guide included in the ZIP file.