by Maxim Levkov
9 January 2012
Mobile devices are an increasingly popular method of viewing media content, and the availability of increasingly powerful devices pushes video playback to the top of the list of most desired features on mobile networks today and well into the future. This rapid growth underscores the need for encoding and transcoding guidelines to ensure that the content is optimized for the greatest compatibility and playback performance. Due to the wide variety of devices in the marketplace, we suggest two approaches to encoding for mobile delivery. One approach targets individual classes of mobile devices, optimizing encoding settings differently for each. The second approach services each of the diverse mobile phone devices through universally applicable encoding settings. Each of these approaches has its advantages and disadvantages.
About this document
This white paper focus specifically on Research in Motion (RIM) BlackBerry PlayBook, a QNX powered device. It is an addendum to the white paper, Video encoding cookbook and profile guidelines for the Adobe Flash Platform.
Video encoding/transcoding guidelines for Flash Player and AIR on RIM BlackBerry PlayBook (PDF, 906 KB)
- Video and audio features in Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR for PlayBook
- Device display
- PlayBook supported media types
- Encoding considerations
- Content protection
- Encoding variants (recommended settings)
- Detailed AAC/AVC, audio video settings
- FFmpeg settings
- Example of fully executable profile
This technical white paper is intended for the following audiences:
- Developers and content publishers who want to understand limitations and considerations for mobile media delivery to RIM BlackBerry PlayBook
- Encoding professionals who are seeking insight and specific guidelines for encoding media for delivery to RIM BlackBerry PlayBook
Where to go from here
Learn more about HTTP Dynamic Streaming for flexible delivery of on-demand and live video streaming. Also learn best practices for mobile device video player optimization and understand how to optimize web content for mobile delivery.
Learn the recipes of video compression—both as an art form and as a highly technical process—by downloading the Video encoding cookbook and profile guidelines for the Adobe Flash Platform.