What to include in a home construction checklist.
Learn more about the process and sequential steps of building your dream home, plus a general checklist for staying on track.
The process of building your own home can be an exciting one — you get the opportunity to make it perfectly your own and watch the entire process unfold from start to finish. But along with this excitement comes a lot of planning, too. Make the process smoother with a new home construction checklist you can easily follow.
Create a checklist for new home construction.
Like any big project, there’s a lot to manage when building a home. A checklist will help ensure that you remember everything and you’re not completing tasks out of order. You can search for a new home construction checklist PDF online to help guide you through the build’s process and flow, or you can make your own. Here are some general items you’ll want to make sure to include on yours:
- Locate and purchase your ideal lot
- Plan and design your home’s size, layout, and style
- Hire contractors and other building professionals
- Prepare the land, including piping and foundational groundwork
- Build the home’s framing
- Install plumbing, electrical, and HVAC
- Install insulation
- Complete drywall and interior finishes like doors, windowsills, and staircases
- Complete exterior finishes, like driveways and patios
- Add interior fixtures and flooring
- Schedule final inspection
- Complete final walkthrough
Once you finish your home construction checklist, you can easily convert it to a PDF for safekeeping or share it with your builders to keep everyone on the same page and help avoid mishaps. Construction mistake costs can add up quickly, so it’s better to prepare a checklist ahead of breaking ground and starting the build. It’s like the saying goes — measure twice, cut once!