How to convert printer files to PDF.
Wondering what to do with that strange PRN file you received? Convert it into a PDF and get back to work with this helpful tutorial.
PRN files — or printer files — contain the Postscript instructions printers need to correctly print out a document. You can create them with most office software suites, and they can be useful when sharing complex files for the specific purpose of printing. That said, they’re not good for much else.
Sometimes, though, you may need to view or share the document behind the PRN file. If you can’t access the original, a convenient solution is to convert the PRN to PDF. PDFs are much more user-friendly and — best of all — easily viewable and editable.
Convert your PRN files to PDF.
The good thing about PRN conversion is that it only takes a moment. With the right software, like Adobe Acrobat DC, you can view PRN files natively and simply save them as a PDF. Here’s what to do:
- Launch Acrobat and select File > Open.
- Locate your PRN file. You can also just drag and drop it.
- Once the file has loaded, select File > Save As.
- In the Save As dialog, make sure the file type is set to PDF.
- Choose a save location for the PDF and rename the file if necessary.
- Click Save and it’s done.
Do more with your new PDF.
Now that you’ve converted the PRN to a PDF, you can do further work on it. It’s easy to compress the file if it’s too large, combine it with other PDFs, add text and comments, and much more.
Discover everything that’s possible with Acrobat DC today.