12 Gorgeous Ways to Style Your Products for Social Media
A steady stream of beautiful photography for your social media pages and website is one of the most important tools in a seller’s arsenal. But how do you build up a library of content and, more importantly, stand out in people’s feeds? We teamed up with photographer and stylist Ashley Batz and gorgeous handmade items featured at West Coast Craft, a biannual showcase of handmade design, for two days of product styling fun. Here are 13 ways to style your treasures that will help you stay on trend on social media and build engagement with followers that could lead to brand loyalty and sales.
What you need
- Construction or wrapping paper: Pick colors that speak to your brand or complement the colors in your product (more on that below). Gather different types of textures (glitter creates a cool effect!) and prints make simple or clean items stand out.
- White foam boards: These help you bounce light and prevent unwanted shadows
- Blue tac: Prop up items and make sure they stay in place by using this sticky gum-like substance that won’t damage surfaces.
- Props: As you’ll see below, we like to use natural elements, like florals, and materials that speak to the handcrafted nature of the items. Think string, felt, or things you actually use to make your goods.
- A professional photographer or good, natural lighting: For this shoot, we hired a talented photographer and stylist, who brought special lighting and pro lenses, and helped arrange the items in eye catching ways. Hiring a pro a couple times per year to help you build an asset library you can pull from all year may be worth the investment. You can definitely see the difference. However, with the right lighting and a few tricks, you can take social media-ready photos from your phone. Check out our iPhone photography tips if you’d like to DIY.