How to change your default PDF viewer to Adobe.
Learn how to change the way your computer opens PDF files, so you can take full advantage of editable features and more.
Stuck and wondering how to change default PDF viewer apps? Perfect for sharing, the PDF is one of the most popular file formats in use today. Most operating systems have a PDF viewer that will let you easily open these documents so you can read files, share them, or make small edits. To get the most out of your PDFs, though, you may want to switch your default viewer to the Adobe Acrobat PDF viewer, which is more feature-rich because it’s designed specifically for PDFs.
Why change your default PDF viewer to something else?
The default PDF viewer on your computer is a great option for quickly glancing at a PDF. However, while viewing a PDF you may notice changes that need to be made within it. Most default PDF viewers do not have the necessary tools to make edits or collaborate with coworkers. You may want to change your default PDF viewer to Adobe Acrobat in order to have the editing and collaboration tools you need all in one place.
How to change your default PDF viewer to Adobe PDF Viewer.
Whether you’re using Windows or macOS, your computer will automatically open any PDF with its own default app. For Windows, that’s Microsoft Edge. For macOS, it’s Preview. Here’s how to change the default PDF viewer for each of these operating systems.
Change from Microsoft Edge to the Acrobat PDF viewer:
- Right-click on the thumbnail of any PDF file.
- On the menu, click Properties.
- A new dialog box will appear. In the first subsection, the text “Opens with:” indicates which PDF viewer is set as your default. Click the Change button.
- Select Adobe Acrobat DC or Reader from the list as your default.
- Click OK to save and apply changes.
Change from Preview to the Acrobat PDF viewer:
- Right-click on the thumbnail of any PDF file.
- On the menu, click Get Info.
- Navigate to the “Open With:” section and select Adobe Acrobat DC or Reader from the dropdown list.
- Tap Change All to apply this change to all future PDF documents. Tap Continue to finish.
Now that you understand how to make Adobe your default PDF viewer, you can view, mark up text, and more with the additional capabilities unique to Acrobat. For a quick and easy way to manage PDFs — including adding comments and signatures — you can use a free online editor to help keep important documents moving.
How to change default PDF viewer on a Mac from Preview to Adobe.
Here is how to set Adobe as the default PDF viewer:
- Control-click a PDF on your computer.
- Move your cursor over Open With in the pop-up menu to see your current default viewer. In the side menu, the default viewer will be displayed at the top.
- Click Get Info.
- A new pop-up menu will open and show general information such as PDF size, creation date, when it was last modified, and more.
- Under the Open With tab you can see your default application shown in a gray box. If the tab is closed, select the small gray arrow to the right of it to expand the tab.
- Select the box with the name of your current default PDF viewer under the Open With tab.
- Click the default viewer you want to switch to.
- Once selected, the viewer will be displayed in the box. Under Use this application to open all documents like this one, choose the Change All button.
- A pop-up will appear asking you to verify that you want to switch your viewer. Click Continue to make the switch.
How to change default PDF viewer in Windows 10 from Microsoft Edge to Adobe.
You can easily change your default PDF viewer from Windows 10 to Microsoft Edge by following these instructions:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Choose Default apps.
- Select the Choose default app by file type option.
- Select the current default app for the PDF file format and choose the app you want to make the new default.
Why does my default PDF viewer keep switching back?
A PDF viewer switching back to a native one is a frequent issue in Windows. When a default app is changed, whether you’re using the “Default apps settings” page or choosing “Always use this app” in a file-open dialog, the association is registered as User Choice. If an app tries to register itself as the default one for a particular file type, Windows will reject its attempt to interfere with the user choice and will restore Windows as the default. For PDFs, that is Edge.
Can I change my default PDF viewer back?
You can change your default viewer back by using the steps listed for Mac and Windows users. You can always go to settings and adjust your PDF viewer to your preferred one.
Other ways to work with your PDFs.
Now you can view, mark up text, and more with all of the additional capabilities unique to the Adobe Acrobat suite of document tools.
Learning how to change your default PDF viewer is just the beginning. Here are extra resources to work with in case you’re running into other issues:
- Using a PC? Learn how to merge PDF files in Windows 10.
- Have secure information you need to redact? Learn how to black out text in PDFs.
- Troubleshoot why a PDF is opening in a browser.
- PDF not opening at all? Find out why won’t my PDF open?
With the help of the Acrobat Chrome extension you can easily view a PDF and access all the Adobe Acrobat tools you need on the web. You can also use Acrobat Reader to view PDFs and store and share your important files.
Discover everything you can do with Acrobat to make working with PDFs quick, easy, and secure.