New home walkthrough checklist.
Learn more about the essential walkthrough tasks to complete when purchasing a new home so moving day goes smoothly.
When you purchase a newly built home, it feels a bit like an empty canvas. You’ll be the first to live in the home, so you can truly make it your own — but with that opportunity comes some big responsibilities, too. It’s on you, as the buyer, to make sure everything is in working order and up to the quality that you expect before you move in. Let’s explore some of the must-do’s when it comes to your new home walkthrough.
What to include in your walkthrough checklist.
Before moving day, you’ll want to schedule a walkthrough with your builder so they can show you how to use your new home. This entails everything from learning how your appliances work to checking electrical sockets — plus, it’s your chance to speak up if something isn’t right. Here’s a handy checklist to help you get started:
- Turn on appliances, making sure every knob works properly
- Check electrical sockets and flip all switches on and off
- Learn how to control your AC/central heating
- Inspect insulation and test fire alarms
- Open and close cabinets and drawers to ensure they fit perfectly
- Run the shower and/or fill the bathtub and check for leaks
- Open windows and doors, making sure they move properly and lock
- Check for signs of pests
- Inspect the garden or yard for signs of pooling water
This process can take a few hours, so make sure to schedule enough time to cover every nook and cranny of your new home. It may be helpful to create a digital checklist so you can keep on track. Then, you can convert your findings to a PDF and share with your builder if anything requires attention before the big move.