A guide to DIY product photography.
Examples of product photography are everywhere. To create stunning product photos, it doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Learn some DIY techniques.
Whether running a one-person online e-commerce shop or a multinational corporation, your customers will judge the quality of your products (and even your business) based on your product photography. Learning a few tips and tricks to help you shoot high-quality product photos now can save you a bundle down the line.
Great DIY product photography hacks.
To produce professional quality DIY photos, there are a few things you’ll need. You may already have more of what’s needed than you realize. Before blowing your limited budget on new equipment, see if you can make do with what you have on hand.
Six things you’ll need for DIY product photos:
- Camera: You don’t need a high-priced DSLR camera for product photos. If you’re into photography, whatever camera you have will be fine. You can even use a smartphone.
- Tripod: Avoid blurry shots and give yourself more control by using a tripod.
- Background: For white background shots, use a white wall or hang a wrinkle-free white sheet. For more interesting effects, try a wood tabletop or tile floor.
- Bounce cards: Use either white or black foam boards to balance the light around your product. A white bounce board will eliminate unwanted shadows, and a black one will deepen shadows when shooting a white product on a white background.
- Lights: Great product photos can be captured using sunlight near a window. Your bounce cards will come in handy since the light will be from only one direction. For more flexibility, try using the light from your camera’s built-in flash in the “always-on” mode.
- Table: For convenience, you will want to set up your DIY photo studio on a table at a comfortable height.
Now that you’ve captured the perfect shot, learn how to complete the job. Discover everything you can do with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.