How to make a GIF from YouTube.
Learn how to create a GIF using video files from YouTube.
Even though GIFs are moving images, they’re not considered videos. That being said, you can use video files to help you create GIFs.
What is a GIF?
GIFs are looped, animated images that are made up of a series of photos, images, or video clips. Often, GIFs are used to help tell a story, create a time-lapse, or creatively showcase images. When you use the right software, you can make GIFs from all sorts of sources — even YouTube videos.
How to make a GIF from YouTube videos.
GIFs can be created using video through file types like AVI, FLV, and MP4. If your YouTube video is any of these file types, you’re on your way to making a GIF in Photoshop. Ready to get started? Just follow the steps below:
- Import your video file into Photoshop by selecting File > Import > Video Frames to layers
- When the Import Video to Layers box pops up, make sure the Make Frame Animation button is checked. Click OK to convert the video frames to one layered file.
- Open the Timeline Panel by selecting Window > Timeline. Click the arrow and select Create Frame Animation.
- Set each frame’s timing by selecting the first frame, holding Shift, and clicking the last frame. Set the intervals to the same timing.
- Click the dropdown menu under the timeline and click Forever to ensure continuous play.
- Export your GIF by clicking File > Export Save for Web (Legacy), then click GIF as the Export Format and Forever as the looping option.
As a tip, try to use short videos — videos that are too long might not import properly.
Create GIFs for YouTube like a pro.
It’s easy to create awesome GIFs. Get started today and explore what more you can do with Adobe Photoshop.