How to make a photo look like a sketch.
Learn how to transform a photo to make it look like a sketch. This popular effect is a great way to get your messages noticed.
The number one suggestion experts give for getting your post noticed on social media is to use appealing visual content. There are a number of ways to creatively enhance your selfie or any image to make it more noticeable. Converting an image into what appears to be a sketch is one great way to stand out. (Converted sketches can be used as a profile picture, too, to add just a hint of identity masking or intrigue.)
Tips for converting your photo into a sketch.
The editing software you use will determine how many steps are needed for a sketch conversion. Some software programs can quickly change a photo to a sketch right on your phone. Others require more steps but allow for much more control over the final product.
Whether the app handles the details or not, the steps are essentially the same:
- Edge detail: Start with a photo that has plenty of contrast between the subject and the background.
- Strip the color: Convert the image to grayscale.
- Duplicate and invert: The duplicate layer will be used to blend with the inverted image.
- Dodge mode: Use the software’s Linear Dodge blend mode to blend the two layers.
- Filter: Apply a filter that creates a difference between the two layers. Only the outlines will appear.
Experienced photo editors can create a wide variety of sketch effects. Beginners can create simple sketch conversions using the automatic features available with popular editing applications.
Learn more about photo editing tips and tricks.
Don’t let your message drown in a sea of photos. Find out more about the hundreds of themes, effects, and extras available with Adobe Photoshop Express.