Mom and daughter photoshoot ideas.
Learn tips for capturing successful mother and daughter photos, plus get some creative photoshoot ideas to inspire your next session.
Mother and daughter photoshoots show the special bond between a mom and her child. Because mothers are frequently behind the camera, they can be left out of many family photos. That makes these types of sessions even more important. Whether you’re a family member or a friend, you can help put mom back in the frame with these photoshoot tips and fun ideas.
Prepare for the shoot.
Unless you already know the family, you’ll want to know who plans on attending the shoot and their ages. Some mother and daughter photoshoots will include just the immediate family, whereas others may want to include grandma, too.
This will give you more insight on where and when to schedule the session. For example, mothers with young daughters may want to plan around nap times and aim for more candid shots. Mothers with adult daughters may opt for a more studio-like session.
Once you have a clear idea of who plans to attend, you can start discussing possible themes for the photoshoot.
Photoshoot ideas for moms and daughters.
To help spark your creativity, here are some ideas to get you started:
For mother and younger daughter(s):
- A candid session playing together with toys
- Mom pushing daughter on the swings
- A session featuring props, such as mom and daughter floral crowns
- Mirror shots with mother and daughter “getting ready” together
- An at-home session with matching outfits
For mother and adult daughter(s):
- A walk together in a favorite park
- A portrait session with formal dress
- Mom and daughter at their favorite vacation spot
- Having fun on a spa day together
- Enjoying a favorite pastime such as shopping or cooking
For even more inspiration, discover more photography tips and techniques to try.