How to record and edit voiceovers for YouTube.
Step-by-step instructions for recording and editing voiceover content for YouTube videos.
Sometimes adding a voiceover to your videos can take them to a whole new level. Voiceover strategies can provide context and even help align a video’s theme. But how exactly do you add — and edit — voiceovers to your videos in the first place?
Why add voiceover content to your video?
Voiceovers are often used to help provide clarity and exposition. But those aren’t the only benefits that adding a voiceover can bring to your videos.
Sometimes, they are useful as a video editing tool because they:
- Present information in a clear, authentic voice
- Ensure a consistent tone and mood
- Don’t cause information overload like subtitles can
- Can easily align with video content and theme
Voiceover plays a prominent role in all sorts of videos and movies, especially in the form of narration. Prominent examples include classics like The Shawshank Redemption, The Princess Bride, and GoodFellas.
How to do a voiceover on YouTube.
The right video editing software tools can make all the difference. Here are a few simple steps, using the video editing program Adobe Premiere Pro as the example:
- Import the YouTube video clip you want to add voiceover to.
- Add an auto track by clicking the timeline header and choosing Add Tracks.
- Make sure your microphone is prepared.
- Click Audio Panel, then Audio Track Mixer, and then find the track you’ll add your voiceover to and click R to enable recording.
- Place the playhead where you want to start the recording. Then right-click and choose Voice-Over Record Setting and then click Record.
- Complete the recording by clicking the Stop Recording button or the space bar.
Create vibrant voiceover content to bring your videos to life.
Voiceovers can add context to your videos without causing information overload. Discover more great video tips for your YouTube productions.
Explore what more you can do for your projects with Premiere Pro to edit nearly any video clip with ease.