How to Write on a PDF.
PDFs are an easy way to view documents. Learning how to write on a PDF can make leaving feedback and amending pages simple and effective. Our handy guide will take you through the simple steps of how to write on a PDF on a PC, Mac, and iPhone – whether you’re at a desk or on the go.
What you’ll learn
- How to write on a PDF
- How to edit text on a PDF
- How to write on a PDF on a Mac
- How to write on a PDF on an iPhone
- Frequently asked questions
How to write on a PDF.
Writing new text on a PDF file is slightly different than editing pre-existing text, but it’s still easy with Acrobat — just follow the steps below:
- Open the file in the Acrobat PDF Editor.
- Select Fill & Sign on the right side of the screen or on the top bar.
- Choose the Add Text tool, which looks like an upper-case “A” next to a lower-case “b.”
- Click anywhere in the PDF where you’d like to add text and start typing.
Once you have added your text, you can edit the text and resize the blocks to make them fit the PDF wherever you like. Once you’re happy, just hit the Save button and the new text will be permanently added to the PDF.
Explore more about how Acrobat and Acrobat online services can make it easy to edit and add text to PDFs right from your PC.
How to edit text on a PDF.
Discover the simple steps to edit text on a PDF below.
- Open the PDF you want to write on in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click the Edit PDF button in the top-right corner.
- Select the text you want to edit and start writing.
For those who don’t want to download a PDF editor, you can also write in PDFs from your web browser with Adobe Acrobat online services. Simply upload your PDF to the online editor, make your changes, and download the updated PDF to your PC — no software downloads are required.
How to write on a PDF on a Mac.
If you’re working on a Mac, learning how to write on a PDF file is easy and can be done without the need to purchase any software. You can use Adobe Acrobat online services, which you can access from your favourite internet browser.
- Launch your web browser and navigate to Edit PDFs with comments in Acrobat online services.
- Click the blue “Select a file” button or drag and drop a PDF file into the drop zone.
- Once your file has been uploaded, select the Add Text Comment tool from the toolbar.
- Use the new icons that appear at the bottom of the toolbar to adjust the colour and size of the text.
- Click anywhere to begin typing.
- Adjust the size of the textbox.
- Drag the text box to where you want it.
- When you’re finished, select the Download button to download your edited PDF.
If you want to complete a form and add your signature, you can do so easily with the Fill and Sign tool in Acrobat online services.
How to write on a PDF on an iPhone.
Using Acrobat online services allows you to add text to your PDF from anywhere. Follow these steps to type on a PDF on iPhone.
- Open Adobe Acrobat in Safari or any other web browser and head to Edit PDF in Acrobat online. Select Edit PDF.
- Choose a PDF to edit by clicking “Select a file.”
- After the file uploads, sign into your Adobe Acrobat account.
- Use the toolbar to add text, as well as sticky notes, highlights, and more.
- Download your annotated file or opt for a shareable link.
Or you can write on a PDF on an iPhone app.
- Install and launch the Acrobat mobile app.
- Choose Files on the bottom menu and locate your file.
- Tap Edit, then Comment.
- From the bottom menu, choose the “Add Text” tool and type your text in the appropriate locations. Set the font size and colour to your preferences.
- Finalise your file by tapping the blue checkmark in the top left corner.
Frequently asked questions.
How can I write on a PDF for free?
Using Adobe Acrobat is free, including the feature to use the writing tool. You can access it online by downloading the software as your default PDF reader or by using the phone app.
Why can't I write on my PDF?
PDFs can’t be edited or written on the same way as a Word Document. However, with a PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat, you can add text and signatures, and edit a PDF.
How can I write on a PDF in Windows for free?
Whether you’re using a mobile phone, Mac, or Windows PC, Adobe Acrobat is available for free on all devices, so you can write on PDFs easily.