How to increase engagement using Instagram questions.
Instagram continues to roll out new features to generate engagement, and one you should consider using is the Instagram stories questions feature. Read on to learn what the questions feature is, how to use it, and how to make great Instagram question posts. Plus, get some Instagram questions ideas kick off your Instagram Stories engagement strategy.
As of spring 2022, there are about 1.5 billion people worldwide on Instagram, and Instagram users spend an average of 29 minutes per day scrolling through Instagram posts and stories, including those from their favorite brands. With numbers like this and no sign of a slowdown, there’s no debating the importance of an engaging Instagram presence for your brand.
Less obvious, however, is how to increase engagement despite the growing social media noise and competition. As you probably already know, it’s not enough to post regularly, tag your posts, and hope for the best. You need to use other features in Instagram that are geared towards engagement. This post looks at the engagement benefits of using Instagram story questions.
How do I use Instagram story questions?
One of the easiest and most compelling tools for getting users to engage with you, the Instagram questions sticker is a fun way to let your friends ask you questions on your Instagram stories with a few simple taps on their smartphone.
You can find the questions sticker by going to your Instagram account, starting a new story by uploading an image or video to your stories, clicking on the sticker icon (square smiley face at the top right side of the template), and selecting the “questions” sticker.
Once you have the sticker on your story, you can leave the prompt as is with “Ask me a question” or customize the text. You can up the ante by changing it to the more provocative “Ask me anything.”
Or, you can instead ask them fun questions and invite responses. Type in any question or request you wish by tapping the “Ask me a question” section and filling in a prompt like, “How are you feeling today?” or “Give me travel recs for Italy!”
When followers respond to your Instagram questions (and they can respond as many times as they’d like), you’ll receive notifications in your story’s viewers list and also in your messages.
You can — and should — direct message the follower back. This leads to more engagement. You can also share your question plus a follower’s anonymous response as a story.
Prompt your followers to ask you anything or ask a compelling question and you’ll quickly see the DMs roll in for the 24 hours that your Instagram story is live.
Sounds cool, right? And yes, it also sounds a little like Instagram polls. Allow us to explain the difference.
The difference between the Instagram story questions and Instagram poll questions.
Instagram polls allow you to survey your followers with a multiple-choice question. Ask a question using the poll sticker, leave the preprogrammed “yes” or “no” options (and add other options if you wish), or rewrite the answer options to whatever you’d like them to say. Once you post your poll, your followers will be able to answer questions by choosing one of the options you provided.
Instagram Polls are great for when you want specific followers’ advice. For example, if you have a new product and want to see which color users like best, you can post an image of the product in its various colors, ask “Which color do you like best?”, then list the options as answers.
This type of poll is great Instagram marketing because you’re bringing attention to a new product and getting people to instantly engage with it. But yes-no questions can work just as well. Pair a shirt and shorts and ask users if they’d wear them together. Post a product and ask, “Obsessed?” A simple yes or no tells you all you need to know.
The other type of Instagram poll are emoji slider polls. When you select this sticker, you ask a question and followers can weigh in on a sliding scale. “How much do you love this color?” “How likely would you be to wear these boots?” “Love it or hate it?” are all questions that can be answered with an emoji slider poll.
Instagram questions ideas.
If you need some story ideas to get you going with Instagram questions, consider asking any of these questions and including a relevant image to match:
Engaging Instagram question examples:
- Ask me a question
- Ask me anything
- Anything you want me to know?
- What do you want to learn more about from us?
Retail/Product/Service Instagram question examples:
- How would you use this __________?
- What should we always have in stock?
- What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever bought from us?
- What retired product do you wish we would restock?
- How can we improve our service for you?
- What’s your favorite _____________? (great way to learn more about your audience)
- What’s your biggest splurge?
- How do you treat yourself?
Food-related Instagram question examples:
- Which dessert should I make?
- What’s your favorite flavor? (show a selection)
- What’s the one ingredient you ALWAYS have on hand?
- Favorite cuisine?
- Favorite restaurant of all time?
Fashion-related Instagram Question examples:
- How should I update my look?
- Which hairstyle should I get? (show a selection)
- Would you wear this __________?
- Who’s your favorite ___________? (great way to learn more about your audience)
- Where do you shop?
- Where do you buy your jeans?
- What’s your favorite brand for _________? (sunglasses, athleisure, shoes, etc.)
Example Instagram Poll questions:
- What’s your favorite style of pants?
- Wool slacks
- What’s the best John Hughes’ movie?
- The Breakfast Club
- Pretty in Pink
- Sixteen Candles
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Where would you like to take your next vacation?
- Buenos Aires
Examples of Instagram story ideas with Instagram questions.
Whether you’re a business, influencer, entrepreneur, or an individual with a passion for social media, Instagram questions are wonderfully creative ways to foster engagement with your community. If you’re ready to make some right now, use Adobe Express’s free Instagram stories templates to start from scratch or to customize any of their free designs to fit your brand. Here are just a few of the hundreds of available options. Tap them to make them your own.
Free Instagram story templates
Tips for making the most of Instagram questions.
As always with Instagram stories, success lies in a combination of factors. These tips will get you there:
- Use eye-catching images or videos to accompany your Instagram questions. You’ve got less than a second to capture your audience’s attention. Clear, vibrant imagery is irresistible.
- Ask your followers questions about things that are important to them and to your business. For example, if you’re an ice cream shop and you wonder if customers would be excited if you added a new flavor, toss a poll up.
- Use a small, thoughtful collection of hashtags to extend your story’s reach beyond your existing followers and get in front of users who are interested in your subject matter. Remember you can hide them by making them the same color as your image’s background and shrinking them so they’re barely visible.
- Respond to everyone who engages with your question. DM them if you like or repost their response (again, it’s anonymous so it won’t show any profile photo or name). One-on-one engagements with followers foster loyalty for you or your brand.
Instagram questions aren’t the only ways to leverage Instagram stories for your business. For more ideas, read 9 Tips for Using Instagram Stories for Your Business.