Seven jobs where you need a standout digital portfolio.
Learn to show off your work and take the next step on your career path.
Create a digital portfolio that makes a great first impression.
As working from home becomes the norm for more and more businesses, companies are beginning to look for candidates from across the country, increasing the competition for every job. An impressive resume isn’t enough to stand out from the very qualified masses. You need to impress and differentiate yourself — and a quality portfolio website is a great way to show your stuff, make an impression, and stand out from the crowd.
What is a digital portfolio?
A digital portfolio is a chance to visually display what you have accomplished so far in your career and take potential employers on a creative journey. Think of your portfolio as an elevated, professional scrapbook that shows off your strongest skills.
The best digital portfolios are both eye-catching and digestible. The goal is not to display every single project you have completed in your career. Instead, it’s to highlight your best work and display a range of capabilities. And if you think digital portfolios are only for artists, think again. You can create a beautiful and professional digital portfolio for almost any industry.
Unlike several decades ago when portfolios only existed in hard copy, digital portfolios can take on many forms:
- Website. A website is one of the most popular platforms for hosting a digital portfolio. Hosting sites like Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace make it easy to create a standalone website, while sites like Behance and Flickr act as hosts for uploaded work. With a website portfolio, you can easily share a link to your site across social media platforms so anyone can peruse your work.
- PDF. PDF portfolios are popular in industries that are typically less visual like finance or copywriting. They allow you to organize text-heavy examples alongside visuals in an organized way. It also gives you the option to print your portfolio if the need arises. Create a PDF portfolio in Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint to take advantage of templated designs and to customize typography and color. Before sharing your completed portfolio, you can use a free PDF viewer like Acrobat Reader to ensure everything looks great.
- Social media. Your social media can be a portfolio itself. With a bit of planning and organization, this can be a very effective way to demonstrate your abilities. However, social media works best as a supplemental portfolio. For most professional opportunities, you’ll still need either a website or PDF version with personal details and curated content.
- Cloud storage. While technically a place to store portfolio content, cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox should be viewed more as a storage solution. If your work currently lives in cloud storage folders, think of it as a great first step to a winning portfolio. Take the time to keep your cloud storage organized so that you can more easily find a variety of your best work for your final portfolio.
How to make a portfolio that makes a great first impression.
Remember that the purpose of your digital portfolio is to show someone who you are and what you can do. So, first and foremost, make certain your name or logo is visible throughout the portfolio. This ensures that everyone who reads your portfolio always knows whose work they are looking at — and who they should hire. Include your contact information at the beginning or end of your portfolio where it can’t be missed.
You can choose to publish your portfolio on a variety of platforms, and each has its own considerations. Whichever way you choose to present your work, organization is key. In general, you can structure your portfolio with sections for either individual projects or categories. For example, an interior designer could have pages for each house they designed or pages for kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms.
Finally, keep in mind that your digital portfolio and your resume work hand-in-hand. Link to your resume in PDF format from your portfolio or include it at the end for reference.
7. Marketing professionals
Like so many mediums, marketing continues to shift more from print to digital, so making an online portfolio is a must for any modern marketer. Most potential employers, clients, or partners will need to see proficiency across a number of marketing venues — from SEO blogs and Facebook ads to print ad samples and multimedia campaigns — and a digital portfolio is a quick, easy way to show them different projects you’ve completed throughout your career.
While the work itself is key, insight into how it got done is also of value. Make sure your portfolio includes details about your projects like:
- How much time they took to complete
- Marketing tactics used during the project
- Your project collaborators
- Lessons learned from the experience
A good marketing portfolio will, where possible, feature metrics on the results of the project. Include research and statistics that show the marketing campaigns didn’t just look good or read well, but that they performed successfully too.
Make your digital portfolio easy to access with Adobe.
No matter what field you work in, people can’t see your work if they can’t find your portfolio. You can use Adobe Portfolio to build a stylish, professional showcase of your work that can be easily shared and discovered online.
And with so much material to include in any portfolio, you need an app to help you convert files, edit and update work samples, and easily share it all with potential employers and clients. Adobe Acrobat gives you the tools you need to put your best foot forward digitally, helping ensure you’re able to bring various different samples into your portfolio. And once people have seen and loved your work, you’ll want a solution that allows you to digitally sign contracts to work on projects quickly.
In the modern job market, a digital portfolio isn’t just the first impression you make, it spotlights your ability to work with different apps to get the job done. Showcase those skills and your creative work with an interactive digital portfolio that wows and makes it easier for people to hire you.