Pros and cons of .TXT files.
Like any technology, there are pros and cons to consider with the .XLS file format.
- Smaller file size. Text document files are one of the most basic and storage-efficient text file formats. Due to the format’s simplicity, .TXT can be used to store vast amounts of data with significantly less storage when compared to more complex text formats.
- Universal compatibility. The .TXT file has been in use since the early days of computing and is compatible with a broad range of computer systems, application software and reading devices.
- File analysis. Even if a file does not contain plain text, it can be launched as a text document. This is helpful if you're not sure what file format it's in, if it's missing a file extension or it is detected as an inaccurate file format.
- Formatting limitations. As .TXT files do not contain format settings for text, such as bold, italics or font sizes, they are only useful for basic documents.
- Lack of media insertions. .TXT files do not support attachments and multimedia elements such as images, videos and audio.
- Security concerns. The compatibility and basic nature of this format is a double-edged sword, as it leaves .TXT vulnerable to unauthorised access.
How to open an .TXT/TEXT file.
As a general rule, all text editors should be capable of opening a .TXT file, especially if no special formatting is used. TXT files, for example, can be opened with Windows' built-in Notepad programme or Mac's TextEdit by right clicking the file and selecting ‘Edit/Open’. The compatibility of this file format also allows it to be opened on phones and other reading devices.
How to create and edit a .TXT/TEXT file.
You don’t really need any special software to create a .TXT file on your computer. They can be created and modified in a wide range of ways, most commonly with a text editor or a word processor.
- To create or edit .TXT files on Windows, open the built-in Notepad application. To start, make a new.TXT file, open Notepad, type or paste the desired text into it and then save the file.
- When creating .TEXT files on a Mac, use the system's TextEdit application. To make a new .TEXT file, launch TextEdit, enter or paste the desired text and then save the file. Both text editors save the file with the .TEXT extension as default.
How to open a .TXT file as a .PDF.
To open a TXT file as a PDF, follow these simple steps:
- Open the Adobe Acrobat app or launch Acrobat Online from your web browser.
- Select ‘Convert to PDF’.
- Sign in with an Adobe, Google or Apple account.
- Drag your Notepad file into the converter or select it from your device.
- That’s it! Acrobat will convert your TXT file to a PDF. Next just download your new PDF to save, share or send. Or, you can edit, sign and complete many other tasks too.
Learn more about similar file types to .TXT.
Also known as Portable Document Format, PDF is an open standard which can be used to make documents containing links, form fields, audio and video. PDFs can even be signed electronically, making them useful as official documents.
One of the most popular document files, created via Microsoft Word, these can also be exported into other word processing programmes.
Apple's proprietary text processing answer to Microsoft's DOCX. PAGES, unlike DOCX, is not cross-platform and can only be used on Apple devices.
An RTF file is similar to a normal text file, but the .rtf format can store extra information. This extra data can include font style, format and images.