10. While you are in this pop-up window, consider whether you want to change the alt text that appears below your icon, change the size of the icon or even the colour. If you do want to edit these features, use the relevant tabs in the pop-up window to do so.
11. Once done, select OK on the bottom right.
Benefits of inserting a PDF into Excel.
There are several benefits to being able to embed PDF in Excel.
- Convenience. If the information in your spreadsheet links to a particular resource in a PDF format, it could be easier to embed PDF in Excel to save the viewer from needing to search for the relevant file. For example, if sending a bookkeeping Excel document to an accountant, it could be beneficial to attach multiple PDF invoices to your spreadsheet to save time and reduce the number of files you need to send over.
- To keep track of files. Need to keep track of the date certain information was created? Many organisations need to keep an audit trail of when data was stored and updated. This can be done by embedding a PDF into Excel, then noting down the necessary information in the adjacent cells.
- To include more information. Sometimes there may not be enough room in the spreadsheet to include all the information you need. Or there may also be images you want to include. By learning to embed PDF in Excel, you can easily include more info or visuals directly in your spreadsheet, which prevents the user from having to exit it and locate another document.
These are some frequently asked questions about inserting PDF files into Excel.
I got an error message when trying to insert PDF into Excel. What can I do?
If you receive an error message when trying to insert PDF into Excel, it could be that the PDF settings are preventing it from being able to be embedded. This is an Adobe Reader feature that is designed to protect the integrity of the PDF.
Can others open the PDF that I embedded in Excel?
If you have followed the above steps, then the PDF will become part of the package of the saved Excel file. This means that others will be able to open the PDF document too. If you went to Insert > Object > Package, then this won’t be the case.
Related Acrobat content.
Get more out of Acrobat with our tips and guides with these related resources.