PDFs are a great way for your business to share information - for example menus, price lists and reports.
Displaying these on your Facebook Business page is an effective way of engaging with customers using social media.
Discover how to share a PDF on Facebook using our handy guide.
What you’ll learn.
- Quick list: how to share a PDF on a Facebook page.
- In detail: how to post a PDF to Facebook step-by-step.
- Guidelines for sharing a menu PDF on Facebook.
- Benefits of sharing a PDF on Facebook.
Quick list: how to share a PDF on a Facebook page.
One thing to remember is that you cannot post PDFs to a personal Facebook page - only a business page.
Here’s how to share a PDF on Facebook as a restaurant.
- Switch to Business Mode. From a web browser, navigate to Facebook’s home page and sign in. Go to your business page (or create one and register as a restaurant if you haven’t done so yet).
- Add menu. Click through to the About section of your page and scroll down until you find the option to Add Menu. This will upload your PDF, but Facebook will treat it as a menu, even if that’s not what it is.
- Choose your files. Facebook will give you the option to upload photos or PDFs. Click the PDF option and then select the files you want to share.
- Add a description. You can add a short sentence about each page if you’re uploading multiple docs. Don’t forget to click Confirm. Your PDF will then be accessible under Menu on your business page.
In detail: how to post a PDF to Facebook step-by-step.
You can currently only upload PDFs under the heading of a Menu when you have a Facebook business page that’s registered as a restaurant. Here’s our step-by-step guide to doing just that.
1. Log into your Facebook account. Find See more in the side bar on the left-hand side of the page and click the link for Pages.
2. Go to the About section of your page. You can find this tab on the sidebar or under the title heading on your page. Scroll down until you get to the More Information section and then select Add Menu.
3. In the new pop-up window click the option for Add PDF files. This will then let you search your computer for the files that you need. You can also add a description underneath each file to help customers tell them apart.
4. Click the Confirm button to post your PDF to Facebook..
Guidelines for sharing a menu PDF on Facebook.
After you post a PDF to Facebook of your menu, Facebook may review it to ensure it complies with their guidelines. If not, they might contact you about changes to make or remove it. To avoid this, your menu must:
- Be up to 1 MB in size.
- Include multiple items listed with a text title for each one.
- Have items that are clearly readable.
- Contain multiple items on each page (when it has more than one page).
Listing prices on your menu is optional.
Benefits of sharing a PDF on Facebook.
There are lots of advantages to sharing PDFs on Facebook. Here are some of the top ways a business could benefit from doing so.
- Engage with customers. PDFs are a great way to display your prices, menus, pictures and infographics to customers — because they will open and be read within the user’s web browser. This provides maximum accessibility, so everyone can access them on desktop or a mobile device.
- One master copy. Rather than emailing documents to current customers, you can keep all your important PDFs in one place. That means whenever something changes, you can upload the new version and then use Facebook to inform your customers.
- Share useful assets. If you’ve created whitepapers, menus or other vital information about your business that won’t change often, storing these as PDFs on your Facebook page means customers can access them easily.
Here are some of the other questions you might want to know about sharing a PDF on Facebook.
How do I download a PDF file?
When you click an online link to a PDF file, your computer will automatically open it for viewing in your Internet browser using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
This does not mean it has saved to your PC and you will be unable to find it again once you navigate away or close the page. Click the Download icon in the top corner to save a copy to your Downloads folder.
How do I convert a PDF to a photo?
Find out how to convert PDF to a photo in easy steps online here.
How do I unlock a PDF file?
Open the file in Adobe Acrobat and enter the existing password to gain access. You can now remove the password protection by going to Tools > Protect > Encrypt > Remove Security and a new window will open.
You can now unselect any activated security options, but remember that this will now mean that anyone can read the contents of your PDF.
Related Acrobat content.
Try our other tips and guides to make the most of Acrobat and the PDF format.
You might also be interested in…
How to Convert JPG to PDF on a Mac
DF files are designed to be readable on any device, making them a great way to share information.
The latest iPad models make it easy to do things like download an audio book, edit a document in Microsoft Word, or save a PDF.
How to convert a PDF for a Kindle
Adding a PDF for a Kindle can mean it’s easier to read – and for longer PDFs, much easier to navigate than a desktop.
How to Save a PDF to an iPhone
Saving a PDF to your smartphone is a great way to access your important files and documents on the go.