How to create a fillable PDF from a Word document.
Learn how to create an editable PDF from a Word document, so you can quickly and easily gather the information you need.
Perfect for sharing and easy to open, the PDF is one of the most popular file formats in use today. Not only is it easy to use, but the PDF format also preserves the integrity of your document, making it a great choice for fillable forms and collecting information. Let’s explore some reasons why you might want to create a form, plus the specific steps for creating an editable PDF from a Word document.
Reasons for leveraging fillable forms.
A fillable form is a quick and easy way to gather information from any number of people. It’s particularly convenient if you’re a business owner or work in a customer-facing position. Here are just a few benefits of fillable forms:
- Saves time and money. As a business owner, you can leverage forms for many routine processes such as inquiry forms, employee onboarding, tax documents, client feedback, and more.
- Reduces errors. A dedicated form keeps information streamlined, ensuring every recipient gets the same information. It will also help ensure that the recipient fills out all necessary fields without missing or forgetting anything.
- Improves customer experience. A clean, professional, and easy-to-navigate form can create a pleasurable experience for your clients, colleagues, or anyone who receives the form.
Create a fillable PDF in Word with these steps.
To create editable fields in a Word document, take advantage of Adobe Acrobat’s form tools. First, you’ll need to prepare your document by doing the following:
- Within the Word program, select File > New Document.
- Create the form. Type out the necessary details of your form. Because Acrobat searches for any horizontal lines to know where to place a fillable field, you’ll need to first create these on your own. Type underscores with your keyboard to do this.
- Save as PDF. Once you’re happy with your Word document, you’ll need to save it as a PDF. Navigate to File > Save As and then change the file format to a PDF. Click export.
- Open PDF with Acrobat Reader. Right-click on the file and select Open With Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it on your computer, you’ll need to install it before proceeding.
- Prepare the form. In Acrobat Reader, navigate to the toolbar and select Tools > Prepare Form. This will prompt Acrobat to find the horizontal lines and create fillable fields.
- Save your form. Once complete, click File > Save As to save your form to your desired location.
Another option for creating a fillable form is to use Adobe Acrobat online services. You can get up and running in just a few clicks by customizing your fields or selecting from existing templates. You can send the document, track responses, collect electronic signatures, and more from there.
Take a moment to discover everything you can do with Acrobat online services to make it easier than ever to send and receive forms and keep those important documents moving.