15 Instagram bio ideas and templates to launch today
Your Instagram bio is a space that lives on your Instagram profile that can be used to explain who you are, what you like, what you do, and why people should follow you. Essentially a description for Instagram, your Instagram bio is one of the first things people will see when they visit your profile so it’s important to get it right and feature something that feels authentically you.
Why is an Instagram bio important
An Instagram bio, if crafted wisely, can be a big factor in upping your follower counts. If you’re a business or social media influencer, having a bio (and a complete profile in general) will make you look more legitimate and trustworthy. Instagram bios can also be used to illustrate what one might expect from your profile (e.g., coffee tips, cats, and pictures of New York) or show off your sense of humor, which will no doubt show up in your content too.
If you’re looking to monetize your social media following, your Instagram bio can also be used to contribute to this goal by including CTAs or links to other websites. In fact, your Instagram bio can be used to exclusively promote something specific such as a new video or a product launch.
What makes a good bio for Instagram
A good Instagram bio should at least be easy to read, not too long, and informative, especially if you’re a brand. Including CTAs, buttons, contact information, your website, your location, and a hashtag for your audience to use are all great Instagram bio ideas.
If you’re a personal profile or a creator, you might choose to use humor in your Instagram bio, or just keep things simple by explaining who you are, where you work, and what you like. Many profiles that include a few points of information make use of emojis or bullet points to keep things clear and easy to skim, but more on that later.
What to put in an Instagram bio
Cool Instagram bios include humor and personality
Using humor in your Instagram bio can make you seem more down-to-earth, relatable, and enjoyable to follow, and it’s not just for personal profiles; businesses can benefit from using a little humor in their bio, as long as it’s in line with their branding and tone of voice.
Adding a joke or showing some personality in your bio can be a great way for your audience to get to know who you are at the core. Whether it’s coffee, dogs, or collecting coins, don’t be afraid to express it in your Instagram bio and give people a taste of what they can expect from your page.
Using Instagram bio quotes and slogans
If you’re looking for creative Instagram bio ideas, making use of quotes in your Instagram bio is a popular route to take. Use this opportunity to pick a quote that speaks to you whether they’re lyrics from a song, a quote from your favorite movie, or a motivational quote that inspires you. Alternatively, and especially if you are a business, using your slogan in your Instagram bio is a great way to summarize who you are and what your brand is about, which is exactly what an Instagram bio should be all about. Using quotes and slogans can be a succinct way to show somebody new to your page who you are, and what you care about.
Using Instagram bio emojis and bullet points
Emojis and bullet points are common and a recommended addition for any Instagram bio that needs to include more than a few sentences. Emojis and bullets can make your Instagram bio easier to skim, read, and digest. Bullet points are a great way to help people understand key information about you quicker, while emojis can add a visual component to some otherwise plain copy. Many people use emojis to take up fewer characters, like using the pin-drop emoji to signify location, or a briefcase to signify their profession.
Instagram bio link
Your Instagram bio is a great place to link to other sources such as your website, or any other place you wish to send traffic. You may also wish to link to other Instagram profiles that you are affiliated with by including the @ handles of brands you wish to spotlight.
What does Instagram link in bio mean?
“Link in bio” refers to the section of your Instagram profile where you can add your website as a clickable link from your profile. Got more than one resource you want to link to? Many creators and brands use websites such as Linktree to create a landing page that can feature multiple URLs of your choosing.
Calls to Action in Instagram bio
Your Instagram bio has a place of prominence on your Instagram profile and is therefore a great place to add CTAs in order to direct traffic or request an action from your audience. The good news about Instagram bios is that you can change them as often as you like so feel free to add something seasonal, switch up your promotional messaging in line with whatever is going on with your businesses, draw attention to something happening on a certain date, or share the current news from your life or work. If you’re wondering what to put in your Instagram bio, CTAs are a great way to get more value from your bio by encouraging your audience to complete whatever action you desire.
Creative Instagram bio ideas and examples
Instagram bio business
If you’re a business, choosing a bio for Instagram can require more careful consideration. You need to craft a bio that makes it clear who you are and what you are selling. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t show a little personality. Many brands such as Innocent have more playful bios that show who they are while staying true to their humanity and authentic branding.
Creative Instagram bio business ideas
- Use your Slogan: As mentioned above, slogans can easily make for the perfect cool Instagram bio. After all, they usually neatly summarize who you are and what you are trying to achieve.
“Automation that moves you forward” — Zapier Instagram
- Stay informative: Businesses should be including information in their bios such as location, contact info, and their website. Without such information, your profile will look significantly less trustworthy, and you may lose out on followers, or worse: customers! An informative Instagram bio can also be used to provide basic info such as opening times, a hashtag for your audience to use, or the responses to FAQ.
“Tag your Photoshop edits with: #MadeWithPhotoshop” — Photoshop Instagram
- Roll with the times: Instagram bios can be changed as often as you like, making it a great space to be reactive to news and current events. It can also be used as a promotional space to draw attention to wherever your business needs it most. This can mean shouting out a new product in your bio, sending people to a recent blog, or referring to exciting company news.
“love u @noahschnapp” - Netflix Instagram (in response to Noah Schnapp’s coming out announcement)
Creative Instagram bio ideas for creators and influencers
- Define yourself: For influencers and creators, your Instagram bio is a good place to cover your endeavors and how you define yourself. Listing the ways in which you can be defined will make it clear to your audience who you are, while acting like a resume for any businesses looking to partner with you.
“Fashion & beauty girly, dog mum and podcaster @tsdqpodcast 🎤” - Suzie Bonaldi Instagram
- How are you known: If you’ve become a social media influencer as a result of something notable you participated in in the past, your Instagram bio could be a good place to reference where or how you originally made a name for yourself... or even make a joke about it.
“Dad, Husband, President, Citizen” - Barack Obama Instagram
- What to expect: As a creator or influencer, a big goal of yours will always be to attract new followers and grow your page. As a result, using your Instagram bio to summarize what to expect from you in terms of content can be a great way to show your followers what you have to offer.
"Your bubbly acne-prone bestie, here to share tips & remind you to have fun” - Liz Claire Instagram
Creative Instagram bio ideas for girls and women
- Who are you: Singer, author, mother, entrepreneur, artist, animal rights advocate, you name it. If you care about it, and it’s a term you would use to describe yourself then it belongs in your Instagram bio. As a bonus, add your social channels to help your followers find you on other platforms too.
youtube.com/flavorunit” - Queen Latifah Instagram
- What takes up your time: Nothing shows who you are and what you care about better than what you do with your time. Think about where the majority of your time goes and list these activities in your Instagram bio for something that feels authentic to you.
“I make videos and clothes and put them on the internet” - Allegra Shaw Instagram
- Reveal your ambitions: If you have set ambitions and goals that are a large part of your day-to-day focus then why not add them to your Instagram bio and reveal to your audience where you’re heading in life.
"📍Girona / NL 🇳🇱
🇨🇦Winter Olympian chasing Summer Olympics
✖️Porsche.Bikes.Art.Coffee.Cooking.Dogs & Gin
🎨 Art @theshopbyalex
🏋🏽Get fit @bodybyalex” - Alexandra Ianculescu Instagram
Creative Instagram bio ideas for boys and men
- Your achievements: If there’s something in particular that you want to be known or remembered for, then your Instagram bio is the ideal place to add this. Are you an accomplished athlete? Or just want to brag about your victory in a hot dog eating contest? Whatever it is, no achievement is too small.
- Shout out important people in your life: Whether you want to mention your wife, husband, cat, or colleagues, if there’s somebody special in your life, honor them with a mention in your Instagram bio.
“Riley’s Dad 💚” - Daryl Sabara Instagram
- Song lyrics or quotes: Everyone can think of a line or two that speaks to them whether it’s a famous quote, or lyrics from a song. Adding an Instagram bio quote doesn’t give a lot of info about who you are but can offer insight into how your mind works and your attitude to life.
“Have more than you show,
Speak less than you know.
- William Shakespeare” - Abhishek Bachchan Instagram
Creative Instagram bio ideas to show personality
- A personalized phrase: It can be hard to come up with original comedy, especially when you’re under pressure. Take an existing joke or even a well-known phrase and make some changes to personalize it to yourself.
"My friends call me Jen” - Jennifer Anniston Instagram
- Self-awareness: Nothing hits the funny bone like a little self-awareness. Use your Instagram bio to describe yourself in a way that others might.
“Actor with a weirdly low voice and a confusing laugh.
Tzatziki goes with everything. Fact.” Florence Pugh Instagram
- Unexpectedly candid: Being candid in your Instagram bio can be refreshing as well as funny, just don't over-share too much.
“I get car sick but I write nice songs” - Dodie Clark Instagram
Further reading: 33 social media post ideas to boost your business
Instagram business bio examples
“Look your best, feel your best, and live your best with us.”
Daniel Wellington is the perfect example of an Instagram business bio that keeps things short and sweet. Their Instagram bio showcases not only why you should take an interest in their brand but also conveys their timeless and classic tone of voice.
“Discover makers, independent designers, and creative entrepreneurs around the world. All in one place on #Etsy ✨”
Etsy is a business that uses their Instagram bio to explain exactly who they are and what they do. With the use of emojis they allow themselves to show a little more personality as a brand, while also encouraging their audience to use their “#Etsy” hashtag to make it easier to source user-generated content.
“🤝 activewear you’ll feel good in & good about
♻️ sustainably & ethically made
🥵 ultra-flattering fits guaranteed
👇shop FormTech now live”
Clear, easy to read, and visual, sportwear brand Tala is a great example of an effective Instagram business bio. Not only do they highlight their key selling points as a brand, but they also use the space to promote their latest product launch — very clever.
“We make healthy drinks. Please buy them so we don’t get fired.”
As always, Innocent is an excellent example of a brand that keeps things real by using humor and showing their personality. All jokes aside, Innocent’s Instagram bio is effective in showing their playful brand but still makes it clear who they are, what they do, and encourages you to buy from them.
“Halifax, it’s a People Thing. 🙋
For customer queries, head over to Facebook or Twitter. We’re there 24/7.”
Halifax uses their Instagram bio to focus on their number one priority: the customer. Leading with their company slogan, Halifax comes off as approachable, unintimidating, and friendly, while the inclusion of contact information is practical and inviting.
Defining and building your Instagram bio and aesthetic
Whatever you opt for, your Instagram bio is a big part of the brand you present online and is just as important as your visual brand, including the likes of your profile picture, any social media banner art, and your actual content. Whether you’d refer to your brand as modern, light-hearted, or formal, it’s important to stay on brand and keep things consistent, even across multiple social channels.
Cool Instagram bio templates: Find the perfect Instagram bio template for you
Check out our range of Instagram bio templates that are perfect for those who are looking for an Instagram bio solution. Copy and paste our templates below and replace the wording within the brackets with your own details.
Instagram bio template 1: Key details
👋 [Age, pronouns]
📍 [Current location/city]
💼 [Position and company]
✉️ [Contact info such as email]
Instagram bio template 2: The elevator pitch
[Ask a question or present a problem (Do you find it hard to find travel inspiration?)]
[Empathize (You’re not the only one)]
[Solution (I’m on a mission to discover all the best and lesser-known travel destinations.)]
Instagram bio template 3: Your favorites
📚 [Your favorite book]
🏈 [The team you support]
📽 [Your favorite film]
🍽️ [Your favorite food]
🎵 [Your favorite artist]
Instagram bio template 4: The conversation starter
[Encourage your audience to start a conversation like “Seeking Netflix recommendations”]
Instagram bio template 5: A simple poem
Roses are red
Violets are blue
[A statement of 4 syllables like “Follow my page”]
[A statement of 6 syllables ending in a word that rhymes with “blue,” like “and I’ll follow you too.”]
While your approach to your Instagram bio should vary depending on whether you are an individual user, a brand, or an influencer, having any bio is a thousand times better than no bio at all. The Instagram bio is a fantastic opportunity to show potential followers who you are, and why they should be following you, so take the time to craft your bio wisely and keep revising it over time.