How to add page numbers to a PDF.
When reviewing and adding comments to PDF documents, it is essential to have page numbers. Learn how easy it is to add them.
Adding page numbers to a PDF document increases organization and illustrates a higher level of professionalism. Just a little bit of attention to detail will make working with PDFs so much easier. Page numbers simplify the process of putting together a printed PDF for you and anyone else who may print your document. They also allow you to more easily reference a specific portion of your document in discussion or written communication.
Learn the simple process of adding page numbers to a PDF to increase your organization and efficiency.
Steps for adding page numbers to a PDF.
Including page numbers for your PDFs makes them more organized. Page numbers enable you to direct a reader to specific areas without confusing or lengthy instructions. This ability is essential when you have added pages to a document.
If the page order or the number of pages has changed, it is easier to refer a reader to page four, for example, instead of telling them where you have placed this specific page in the document.
There are a couple of different ways you can add page numbers to a PDF. If you don’t have Acrobat Pro and you want to simply manually add the numbers, you can use Acrobat online services. To add a header that automatically gives you page numbers, you will need to use Adobe Acrobat.
Here’s how to add page numbers to a PDF using Acrobat online services. It’s easy to do — just follow these steps:
- Drag and drop the PDF or select a file to upload it to Adobe’s online PDF editor.
- Select the add text control. It’s the large capital T at the top of the page.
- Click on the page where you’d like the page number to appear and type the number.
- To change the font size for the page number, select the page number and click the font size control at the top of the page. It’s the icon with a small capital T next to a large one. You can choose sizes from 6 px to 24 px.
Here’s how you can add page numbers to a PDF by inserting a header or footer with page numbers that update themselves:
- Open your PDF in Adobe Acrobat.
- Select Tools > Edit PDF > Header & Footer > Add.
- Click on the box that shows up where you want your page numbers to be, then select the page numbers option.
- You can explore Page Number and Date Format to change formatting, Page Range Options to specify which pages get numbers, and Apply to Multiple Files to automatically add the same page numbers to more than one file.
Steps for removing page numbers from a PDF.
There are several reasons you might decide to remove page numbers. Perhaps you’re going to print your PDF and separate it into different documents, or each page might become a standalone document after printing. Maybe you need to focus on the aesthetic of your PDF and page numbers would distract from that.
Here’s how you can remove page numbers from a PDF with Adobe Acrobat:
- Open your PDF in Adobe Acrobat.
- Select Tools > Edit PDF > Header & Footer > Remove. This will remove all headers and footers.
- If you want to remove page numbers from multiple documents, you can select Add Files from the dialog box.
How to add page numbers to a PDF using Mac Preview.
Adding page numbers to a PDF using Mac Preview is very similar to using Acrobat online services, since you have to manually add the page numbers.
Follow these steps to add page numbers to a PDF:
- Open your PDF in Preview.
- Select the “Show Markup Toolbar” icon. It looks like a toolbox and is in the upper right.
- Select the option to add a textbox.
- Add your page numbers by placing the textbox where you’ll want the page numbers and manually adding them to each page.
You have several options to add page numbers to your PDF, depending on whether you have access to Adobe Acrobat PDF editing software. Uplevel your organization skills by adding page numbers to your and your team’s PDF documents. Your colleagues will appreciate the help in making company tasks even more efficient.
When you use Acrobat online services, you can easily add pages, number pages, convert documents, and do more with your PDFs. Take a moment to explore everything Acrobat has to offer today.