How to double a recipe.
Whether it’s a few unexpected dinner guests or you’re preparing a feast for a crowd, here’s how to easily double the portions of any recipe.
Most recipes create two to four portions of whatever dish you’re making. This can be a big problem for large families or when your “intimate” dinner party suddenly becomes twelve people. At first glance, doubling a recipe should be as simple as adding twice the ingredients, right?
Well, as many disappointed home chefs can tell you, it’s rarely that easy. But never fear; we’ve got all the tips and tricks to help you double a recipe without ruining the dish.
Tips and tricks for doubling any recipe.
The biggest pitfall that most cooks encounter is thinking that all ingredients in a recipe are equal. When doubling a recipe, you need to treat different kinds of ingredients differently to recreate the flavor of a dish across more portions.
Here are some common ingredients and how much of each you should add when doubling a recipe:
- Meats/Seafood: Use twice as much
- Eggs: Use twice as much
- Produce: Use twice as much
- Stock/broth/water: Use twice as much
- Dried herbs: Use 1.5 times as much and add more as needed
- Spices: Start with 1.25 times as much and add more as needed
Some other essentials to keep in mind when doubling a recipe are to:
- Divide your ingredients into two equal pans, or increase the heat if using a larger pan
- Calculate the amount of each ingredient you will need in the doubled recipe before you start cooking
- Keep in mind that cooking times may not be exactly the same, so keep an eye on things as they cook
With a bit of practice and a lot of tasting, you’ll find that creating the perfect double recipe is more of an art than a science. Remember, you can always add more of something, but you can’t take it out, so add ingredients slowly until you get just the right flavor.
Have culinary creations right at your fingertips. Organize yourPDFs online and discover everything you can do with Adobe Acrobat to create and share recipes with your friends and family today, as well as compress PDF files, merge multiple documents, convert files like PDF to PPT, and more.