How to convert AutoCAD to PDF.
Learn how to convert an AutoCAD file into a PDF to make sharing and viewing easier between different users and devices.
If you’ve been sent an AutoCAD file and you’re unfamiliar with this file format, you may be wondering what it is and how you can convert it to a more workable format. Let’s learn more about AutoCAD files and how you can create a PDF in a few simple steps to make viewing them easier.
What is AutoCAD?
Popular in the design field, AutoCAD is a type of computer software that enables architects, engineers, and designers to create and manipulate design projects, such as 2D or 3D drawings and models. It’s renowned for increasing designer productivity and improving design quality but in order to make sharing these files easier, it’s often best to convert them to a PDF before sending.
Steps to convert an AutoCAD file to a PDF.
If you’re not familiar with or don’t have access to design software, converting an AutoCAD file to a PDF is an excellent way to view the files. Here are the five steps to follow:
- In Acrobat, select Tools, then Create PDF.
- From the options menu, select Single File, then Select a File.
- Upload your AutoCAD file.
- Click or tap on Create. This converts your selected file to a PDF.
- Save your PDF to your desired location.
If you don't have PDF software installed, try the free services available in Adobe Acrobat online. You can find and use these tools right away in any internet browser.
- Navigate to the Convert PDF tool.
- Click on the blue button labeled “Select a file” and upload your AutoCAD, or drag and drop it into the drop zone.
- Download your new PDF.
If you’re already working in AutoCAD and need to create a PDF, you can export the file:
- Go to Output > Plot.
- Choose a PDF preset.
- Click OK.
- Name and save your file.
To export multiple files at once:
- Select your layouts.
- Choose Publish Selected Layouts.
- Select a PDF preset.
- Follow the prompts and save.
Alternatively, you can search for an AutoCAD to PDF converter tool online. The steps and results may vary, so be sure to research a website thoroughly before sharing your files.
Now that you’ve converted your AutoCAD file to PDF, you can easily view it on any computer or certain mobile devices. Discover even more tools that make working with PDFs fast and easy.
How to import a PDF into AutoCAD.
- Open a new DWG file within AutoCAD.
- Click the Insert tab > Import panel.
- Select PDF Import (or the PDF import symbol).
- Select the PDF file you want to import.
- Click Open.
- Choose the page or pages.
- Adjust settings for the data you want to import.
- Click OK.
- Save the file.
AutoCAD files are not the only kind you can convert using Acrobat. Explore what more you can do with Adobe Acrobat to quickly and easily convert any file, image, or web page into a high-quality PDF. For example, you can convert files like Excel and PPT to PDF, or convert PDF documents to file types like JPG.