Change resolution by adjusting pixel dimensions.
If you have specific needs for the dimensions or size of your image — like a poster at a certain print size — check the box for Resample.
This allows you to adjust the print size and change the image resolution independently, which changes the number of pixels in the image. Get started with these steps.
- Open your image in Photoshop.
- Choose Image › Image Size.
- To maintain the current ratio of Width to Height, be sure the chain icon linking these properties is activated.
- Under Dimensions, enter values for Width and Height. The new file size for the image appears at the top of the Image Size dialog box, with the old file size in parentheses.
- Select Resample and choose an interpolation method.
- If your image has layers with styles applied to them, select Scale Styles under the gear icon to scale the effects. (This option is available only if you selected Constrain Proportions.)
- When you finish selecting options, click OK to resample your resized image.
Enhance and sharpen images without resampling.
There are ways to make your image look clearer and appear more high-resolution without actually adding pixels or changing the dimensions.
Attempting these methods can help get the highest quality you can out of the digital information you have in your image.
Lightroom, Photoshop and other software: which is best to improve photo quality?
Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are both industry standards for image editing. But you might find other Adobe tools suit you better.
Here are a few options for changing the resolution of your image, and other useful digital photography tasks.
- Lightroom — Powerful editing capabilities meet organisational tools. The perfect choice for pro photographers who need to both improve photo quality and project manage at the same time.
- Photoshop — Use resolution changers and retouch all sorts of images. Build in stunning effects to photos, art and other media.
- Photoshop Express — Change the resolution of your images from your smartphone.
- Lightroom Classic — The editing and project management of Lightroom, optimised for desktop.
Increase image resolution: FAQs.
How can I make a picture higher resolution for free?
You can resize, retouch and increase the resolution of your images for free using Adobe Express. Use our user-friendly platform to resize images in a flash. You can also access Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and more using a free trial.
How can I change the resolution of a JPEG?
You can change the resolution of a JPEG image using a range of Adobe products, including Photoshop and Lightroom. Simply go to File>Export, then toggle your image resolution higher / lower – or simply click ‘optimise for web’.
How do I improve image quality in Photoshop 2020?
You can enhance image quality using Adobe Photoshop in a number of ways. Resample and interpolate to increase pixel levels, or change print dimensions to strike the right balance without altering the original image. You can also mix up contrast, vibrancy and saturation to improve colour.
Discover more about image resolution, editing and photography.