Here are some common 3D modeling examples. Keep in mind, sometimes these models are so lifelike, it can be hard to realize you’re seeing a rendered image in the first place.
1. Entertainment and media: 3D modeling is used extensively in VFX, video games, and movies and TV. It isn’t at all uncommon to see productions that are entirely created using 3D software.
2. Architecture and real estate: Architects and designers utilize 3D modeling to create detailed virtual representations of buildings, interiors, and landscapes. These models are very useful in communicating the designer’s vision to prospective investors, clients, and the public.
3. Product design and manufacturing: 3D modeling is an efficient and environmental-friendly way to develop prototypes, visualize product ideas, and simulate functionality pre-production. Designers can refine ideas and make countless iterations before a product is finalized.
4. Automotive and aerospace industries: 3D modeling is used in both the design and testing of vehicles and their components, and in the advertising and marketing of them. Many commercials of cars and airliners feature 3D generated imagery that looks so realistic it’s nearly impossible to tell they aren’t real camera footage. 3D allows for realistic simulations, which can be used in testing an idea or vehicle before it’s built.
5. Medical and healthcare: 3D modeling is utilized in medical imaging and surgical planning. Accurate recreations of organs, bones, and tissues can be used to aid in diagnosis, treatment planning, and aid medical research.
6. Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR): 3D modeling is essential in creating immersive experiences. VR and AR have several applications and can be used across nearly any industry.
7. Education and training: 3D modeling is used in educational settings to teach concepts in a variety of subjects, from biology, to geography, and even history. It allows students and professionals to interact with virtual models and simulations in safe, controlled environments. A great example of this is pilots flying in a flight simulator.