How to pick the best street photography lens.
Uncover the secrets to capturing stunning street photography and learn what to look for when picking the right street photography lens.
Street photography is a powerful tool for compelling storytelling — but how can you capture everyday snapshots if you don’t have the right lens?
This article will dive into some must-know street photography tips for beginners as well as how to choose the optimal lens for scintillating street photography.
How to start street photography?
Street photography is considered an artistic, captivating form of storytelling that best communicates the daily lives of people in the world. Often compared to photojournalism, this style of photography doesn’t require poses, plans, stages, or studio lights — in fact, much of it is spontaneous and candid.
Taking stunning street images can be a straightforward process, but it can also be a challenge. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Know your camera better than yourself. When a moment unfolds, know what to do.
- Immerse yourself in a location.
- Get inspired — that’s what street photography is all about.
- Don’t let the fast-paced hustle and bustle of the world overwhelm you — relax into it.
- Be respectful and ask subjects’ permission.
Tips to selecting a good street photography lens.
There’s no single lens out there that offers optimal street photography capabilities — but there are key considerations that can help you choose the right lens for your needs. When choosing a street photography lens, ask yourself questions like:
- Is this lens agile and light?
- Will this lens perform well in all forms of natural light?
- Is the shutter speed fast enough?
- Is this lens inconspicuous?