How to find the best lens for outdoor maternity photography.
Discover the unique factors you should consider.
It should come as no surprise that many people are eager to document this much-anticipated phase of their lives, when they’re getting ready to welcome their newest family member. Maternity pictures are perennially popular, and there’s no reason these photoshoots can’t be staged outside.
Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind, including how outdoor elements impact the type of lens you should choose.
Special considerations about maternity shooting outside.
Soon-to-be parents will likely cherish their maternity photos forever — that means you’ll want to knock it out of the park, wherever you shoot. Here are a few things to keep in mind about outdoor maternity shooting in particular.
- Because you’re not in a studio, you’ll need to plan ahead for the weather.
- Timing and location will also matter more. When are the best times of day for the prospective Mom? How far will she have to travel? (And will there be a bathroom nearby?)
- Close communication is especially important, both before and during the shoot. What does she need with her to be comfortable? How active will she want to be? How will she let you know if the shoot is lasting too long, or beginning to tax her?
Picking the best lens for outdoor maternity photography.
As with any style of photography, the lens you choose matters. Consider these factors:
- Focal length: Is it more beneficial to have a single zoom lens to help you capture a variety of shots or several prime lenses?
- Aperture: What f-stop is most beneficial for outdoor photography? Will your lens perform in low-light settings?
- Shutter speed: Will your lens capture those fleeting facial expressions and sweet moments clearly? Are you able to adjust seamlessly for long exposures?
Explore your photography potential.
You’re just a few tips and tricks away from creating stunning images for people in one of the most exciting phases of their lives. Learn more about how Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop can change the way you photograph and edit your compelling images.